Monday, May 27, 2013

Reflections On What Works For Me

Not the most elegant pose or flattering picture but acknowledging that I have come a long way.

Reporting back after my cousin's wedding.
- I only juiced once
- I ate too much
- I didn't work out
- I had some self control issues

Today I am bloated, swollen and feeling icky.  So, instead of sleeping in I got up and did my usual work out.  I will also be biking 9.2 miles today.  Our family decided that after the bad food weekend we would bike to see a movie at Riverview Theater instead of drive.  We also decided no popcorn and no soda.

All of that said, as I worked out today, I reflected on things from this weekend.
  1. In a million years I would never have thought to wear a stand out of the crowd, fitted red dress.  Why is this?  Even when I was thinner (many years ago) I did not have the confidence to pull it off.  I was never secure enough in my body to make such a bold statement.
  2. Though I am no longer obese, I am still greatly over weight (20 pounds over weight to be exact).  Despite this fact I received many compliments on how good I looked. 
  3. I was not wearing spanx (for my men followers that is the undergarment that women wear to smooth out their rolls and give them shape) and wearing barely any make up.  I was told that my skin, not one of my best features, was glowing and my back fat (I wish there was a nicer name for this), was non-existent.
The difference in my shape and my skin I can attribute to the change in my life style.  The juicing has greatly reduced the "fine lines" from aging, has tightened up my skin, and has put natural color back into it.  As for the change in my body shape, it's my new exercise routine. 

I always thought that in order to lose weight I needed to do rigorous cardio.  I would push myself to run, elliptical, bike, etc...for an hour to an hour and a half.  The only results I ever saw were injuries.  Repetitive motion is not my friend. 

About 2 months ago I changed my routine.  I started running 1.5 miles (much less cardio than I use to do) at a steeper incline and added more resistance training.  I lift over 26,000 pounds in each work out and I squat 50 times using a 10 pound medicine ball doing tricep extensions after each squat.  I am strategic about the areas of my body I am trying to slim down and smooth out.  When I lift weights I do so using tabada interval timing (20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, 8 times).

I always thought that if I burned a lot of calories and lost weight that the shape of my body would just improve.  I know now that is not the case.  Well, that is not the case for me and all I can do is speak for myself.  This has been a long journey of trial and error but I am thankful to finally find what works for me.  Wishing everyone luck on their struggles and their journey.

No comments: