It all started last night.
- Taylor was up until 11:00pm because she did not start packing for her week long 100 mile bike trip early enough. This meant that I was up all night doing laundry.
- When I supervise snack time after school I ensure that a snack is really a snack. Unlike dad, who eats stuff right out of the container, there is no measuring how much you have eaten until it's too late. This led to Ayden skipping dinner because she had stuffed herself with popcorn.
- In light of bullet point 2, Ayden woke up at 9:30pm with a tummy ache and starving. I had to feed my child and put her back to sleep.
Ayden woke up late, had to be reminded of all the things she left undone from the day before, and opted to do what she wanted to do rather than what she needed to do. You don't get to spend 10 minutes choosing earrings if you haven't eaten breakfast. Nutrition trumps fashion. Something we struggle with daily.
I almost lost it at least 3 times today. There could have been yelling, tears and hurt feelings from all parties but instead it was calm. I don't think Taylor liked what I had to say but I have to remember that I am the mom. It's my job to teach them. They won't always like what I have to say because it is not what they want to hear. I have to remind myself that what is important is that they learn how to speak when they feel emotional. They can only do this is if I model it for them. They will love me and thank me one day.
No comments:
Post a Comment