When
I first read The Giving Tree, by Shel Silverstein, all I could think was how inconsiderate the kid in the story was.How could he take advantage of the tree like that?What was wrong with that tree?I loathed this story for many years. Then, I had kids.My profound love for my children; how
I would do my best to give them the world; how I would go to all ends to
protect them and even die to defend them opened my eyes to a new way of seeing this story.
I
read The Giving Tree again with my girls when they were younger and it made me
weep.Not from sadness but from
overwhelming love.I may be completely
wrong about this but I feel Shel Silverstein wasn’t trying to tell us we should
completely sacrifice ourselves for our kids.I think that he meant for us to learn from the book.Giving your children too much, not allowing
your children to experience the consequences of their actions/decisions, and
not setting boundaries for them is a detriment to not just them but also to
us.
Then
again, maybe it is just a story about the unconditional love parents/guardians
have for their children.I don’t know.What I do know is that this book did have a
profound impact on my parenting style.I
fight the urge to give my kids everything and do everything for them.I don't always come to their rescue or comfort them when they feel hurt. I empower them by showing them they are
capable of finding the solutions they need to make what they want (and
ultimately their dreams) come true.I
will always love my girls and I know they will always love me but in the end, I
will not be a lonely stump nor will they be selfish.We will be whole, complete and mutually
respectful beings who lived up to our full potential and became who/what we
were intended to become.
Regardless
of Shel Silverstein’s intention, I have grown as an individual because of this
book and I am thankful for it.
- Remembering to live life with open minds and open hearts.
- To think, feel and evaluate without judgement
- Focusing on putting the right energy into the Universe.
- Remembering to make each family member feel special every day.
Kong & Kaohly's Life Goals
- Live life richly and appreciate all that we've been blessed with
- To love beyond imagineable
- Contribute to society and impact people and places in a positive way
- Raise children who are respectful, secure in themselves, confident, socially responsible, spiritual and successful in all of their endeavors, whatever that may be
No comments:
Post a Comment