Thursday, May 31, 2012

All Grown Up

This week Taylor left on her 100 mile bike trip with her school.  She packed all her gear, got herself ready and handled all the details on her own.  Taylor is responsible, kind, and thoughtful with a pinch of spice (nice word for temper).  No longer my little girl...she's all grown up.

As I think about the 12 years I have been her mother I have come to realize a few things.

1.  It went by way too fast.  I remember her cute chubby face, her baby rolls and her froggy little voice as if there were all present just yesterday.  Don't waste any time in loving those around you.

2.  When people say, "Don't worry,____________ is not a reflection of you or your parenting" that this is not true.  I see how Taylor has grown and it is very clear that the good, along with the bad, came from both Kong and I.  They are a direct result of our genetics and our teachings.  This is true motivation for continuing to find ways to be the best parent I can be.

3.  I have to learn let go.  I think I have had the hardest time doing this.  I want to control all that is in my environment, which includes people.  I know this is wrong but I just can't help myself.  Letting go and letting my girls become who they should be has been difficult but I will persevere.

4.  Live in the moment.  I want to treat my girls like they are still my babies.  Holding on to the past is preventing me from truly living and enjoying the moment.  I have to remember that each stage of their life shapes who they will become.  Don't let the moment go unnoticed or unappreciated.

Today I will remember to let go, not dwell in the past, live in the moment, and appreciate life for all that it is.

No comments: