Only a month gone by and yet so much to catch up on. I just finished one class and am getting ready to start another on Monday. This MBA thing is killing me. I'm not sure how I would have continued this program if I was still working.
For those who don't know, my last day at American Express was March 31, 2009. After 10 years at Amex I decided it was the right time to end that chapter of my life and start a new one. I waited to blog about quiting because I wasn't sure if I was ready to tell the world that I gave up a career to spend more time with my children. It came as a shock to everyone, especially my boss. I had my best year ever at Amex in 2008. Amex has always treated me well and financially rewarded me. After getting an awesome year end review, I told my boss I was going to quit to focus on my MBA and my family. Some people were supportive but most wondered if I was crazy given record unemployment and the current state of the economy.
I think part of the reason I did not blog about it until now was also because for so long my identity was my career. I wasn't sure if people would still respect me if I was no longer pulling in a six figure income and working for a fortune 100 company. I dreaded having to answer the question, "So, what do you do?" I prided myself for being the person who had it all. A wonderful career, a supportive husband, and two amazing children. How could I now tell people that I couldn't have it all?
I had slowly come to realize that it's okay to not have it all. The truth is, all we can do is prioritize and do our best. So much was being compromised. I was rushing the girls around to all of our activities. I was hiring people to handle the lawn and clean the house but I was unhappy with their work and it didn't buy me any more time with my family. I was no longer chaperoning field trips or baking with the girls. My girls were growing up so fast and I was missing it all.
I'm not saying that you can't work and be a good mom. I'm just saying that my job was too demanding and I couldn't be the mother I wanted to be for my girls. My girls will only be little for a short time. I have the rest of my life to work.
"So, what do you do?" I am a full time MBA student and stay home mom : ) I have been a permanent fixture at the girls school since quiting, chaperone nearly all of Ayden's field trips, volunteer once a week in Ayden's class, cook more, play more and just plain laugh more with the girls. Just ask our neighbor Mike. He is the lucky one who gets to hear our nightly trampoline festivities.
Below are pictures I've taken since. Enjoy!
1 comment:
wow! im happy about the decision that you made because i know it took a lot of courage. it will really pay off in so many ways im sure. good luck on your mba! where are you doing it? im nearing the last semester of law school, but im afraid that i wont find a job. ive been looking at alternative ways to use my degree, i.e. banking, healthcare, compliance?!! anything. =/ times are tough though.... hope to see u guys soon.
Post a Comment