After a long day of sitting in the sun, planting flowers in pots, moving my perennials, planting new perennials, weeding...you get the idea; I looked tired, dirty and dark (yes, I get really dark being out one day in the sun - not sure if it's a curse or a gift). I was finishing off my work watering all the new plants near the front of my yard.
A middle aged couple stopped in front of my house to admire a blooming bush. The husband walked up my front steps, walked through my landscaping and sniffed my flowers. Though this act on its own seems harmless I need to add that I was standing not more than a few feet from this man who completely ignored me and acted as if he had all the right in the world to do as he pleased in my yard without a gesture of acknowledgement. I later learned why.
After a few lingering sniffs by my neighbor I politely interrupted and said, "Hello". Without looking at me or making eye contact he asked me the name of the plant. This is how the rest of the conversation went. K is me and NM is Neighbor Man and NW Neighbor Woman.
K: I'm not sure what it's called. It's been here long before me.
NW: Did you take care of the property when the house burned down also?
K: I'm not sure who took care of the house then. I've only lived here for two years. I am the third owner of this house since the fire.
NW: Oh...how do you like living here?
K: Well, I like it just fine. The house is beautiful and I love it.
NM: Another neighbor has a blooming bush just like this and the flowers are magnificent. You don't know the name?
K: Sorry. I don't.
NM & NW: Oh well. Have a good day.
K: Thanks. You too.
Innocent enough, right? After the conversation something just didn't feel right. The conversation was a bit odd when factoring in the tone of the couple, their body language and their choice of words. It finally dawned on me that these people thought I was the help and not the owner of the home.
For those who are not familiar with St. Paul, we live in an affluent, old and quaint area of town. We are one street removed from the mansions on Summit Avenue. That being said I guess when certain people see a person of color working on a yard I guess they automatically assume they are the help, not the property owner. I'm sure these people are very nice and well meaning but this incident served as a reminder that though we've come a long way as a country as it relates to race, we need to go much further to dispel the stereotypes and myths that have been ingrained in all of us.
Think about it. If these people are in careers where they are in hiring roles how do you think they view a person of color interviewing for a job? Are people conscious enough to check their biases and stereotypes at the door so that it doesn't influence their hiring decision? Is everyone given a fair shot for the same job? Seeing that most people do not believe they are racist or have racial biases you tell me...
No comments:
Post a Comment