Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Kuk Sool & Flexibility

After last night's workout class at Kuk Sool, I was very perplexed about my flexibility. I understand that it's been over a decade since I've been serious about exercising and getting fit but having once been a "social" gymnast (never competed) and active sports player, I was very disappointed that I could not raise my leg up much higher then my waist for the side stretch. I have no issues with the front kick but this explains why I have such a hard time doing the back and side kicks.

As I am one of those people who just can't accept things as is I did some research to try and understand what has happened to me and if there is anything I can do about it. It turns out that one of the side affects of prednisone, which I was on for nearly two years for my kidney disease, is deterioration of the hip. When I do the side and back kick, I actually have a great deal of pain in my hip joint. Not sure if this is fixable (is that a real word?). I hope it is as I feel a great sense of disappointment in myself.

What I intend to work on...
1. Remembering that I just started Kuk Sool and to set manageable expectations of my progress.
2. To not be deterred by what has happened in the past and let that affect how I perceive the future.
3. To shift focus from weight loss to health, flexibility, life long physical activity (though I'm proud to say it's been nearly a year and I'm 20 pounds down-Yeah!!!).
4. Believe that I can overcome the negative affects left by prednisone.
5. Commit to regular meditation to nourish my soul and spirit.
6. The most important thing I need to work on is remembering that it's impossible to be the best at everything. Choosing to do my best should be the goal.

I included this clip just for fun. It's a demonstration from the tournament. It's a good illustration of the importance of Martial Art for women. Being able to throw a grown man is not about strength. You'll have to excuse the back ground noise. There were a lot of little ones sitting right around me when I took this clip.

4 comments:

pinkpeony said...

holy cow, that's pretty dang awesome. What is something you've learned that you didn't know before?-- regarding self defense.

I miss you and the girls. I watched the oscars at lissa's apartment on Sunday night, that was fun and interesting. I'll have to give you a call this weekend.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post! I really enjoyed reading and the goals you have set yourself are positive, realistic and worthy of attaining. I wish you every success with it!

A quick tip regarding your flexibility - be patient! Your body will adjust over time. Always save something for tomorrow.

Best Regards

PSBN Jon

pinkpeony said...

hey sis, it's a lateral move. It's a "promotion" but I don't get a pay raise. I did get a bonus and my raise that I was supposed to get when released from training though.

I'm feeling good about the move but I know it will be challenging. Since working here I've realized that you MUST take what everybody says (managers, co-workers) with a grain of salt. The Enrollment managers and CORE managers all want the same thing...to get people to benefit THEM and THEIR team scores/numbers.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the dinner the other night and the comment on the blog. Keep up the hard work. I think, unique to Martial Arts, flexibility will come with understanding. The more you practice Kuk Sool and the longer you are in it you will obviously become more flexible but when you start to understand how your body works for the movements you will notice a lot of improvement.