Monday, December 30, 2013

Blackfish Reflection

Kong and I watched Blackfish last night. It was heartbreaking.  After the movie we could not help but wonder why SeaWorld made the decisions that it did and why they put human beings in danger in the way that they did.  The only thing we could think of was economics. 

I am not judging SeaWorld.  People are willing to consume which is why it exists.  It is just for Kong and me, this movie really struck a chord.  It made us think about an incident that happened when our girls were much younger. 

About seven years ago we attempted to take the girls to the circus.  As we were walking into the Target Center there were protesters with posters and signs showing images of circus animals in inhumane conditions.  I watched the eyes of my then 7 year old widen and her smile diminish.  I remember her asking me what the protest was about.  In the 5 minutes that I had, we talked about the perspective of the protesters.  Taylor decided on the spot that she did not want to participate in keeping wild animals in captivity and forcing them to perform for entertainment.  Needless to say, we did not attend the circus that day.  Since then we have not gone to a zoo, the circus, or any venue that keeps wild animals in captivity. 


Understand that this post is not meant to judge people who frequent this type of venue.  I have very fond memories of going to the circus with my family.  I have heard the pros and cons of captivity.  How it is the only way to keep species going extinct alive.  I'm not saying there is a right or a wrong answer.  Like all things worth thinking about, it is complicated.

For our family, wild beasts are magnificent and powerful and should not be contained.  There are a lot of things we can cut out in addition to zoos and circuses so as not to be hypocrites, however, realistically, it is highly unlikely that we can cut out everything.  We are by no means tree huggers or PETA members but if with each small act we can make the world a better place for its inhabitants, why not try? 


No comments: