![]() |
| Meeting Skyba |
The girls (Ayden being the driving force), have been asking for a pet. We did some research, talked to dog owners, and visited shelters. Armed with information we approached Kong. For two nights we tried to make a case. We talked at great lengths about our research, begged and pleaded. The girls were passionately arguing their point and Kong passionately defending his. Kong threw his hands up and said something like, "I don't want to take care of a dog. Having a dog is like having a baby. I already had two babies. Plus, I only have enough love to give to the two of you."
There was no convincing Kong. I knew that no one was going to give in so I said, in jest, let's let Puj Puj (which is grandmother from the husband's side) decide for us. It was not very nice of me to use Kong's mom in this way but since Kong was being such a turd I said, "Okay Puj, give us a sign. If we should get a dog then tonight, while poppy is sleeping, you should bop him in the nose to show he's being mean and that we should get a dog."
Of course, the next day Kong joyfully confirmed that Puj indeed did not bop him in the nose. Ayden's response, "Mommy, Puj probably didn't like that we asked her to hit her own son which is why she didn't do it." Then Ayden folded her hands together in the prayer position, looked up to heaven, and said, "Puj, if it is the right thing for us to get a dog, please give us a sign."
![]() |
| Skyba - 12 year old Golden Lab |
Kong brought the dog into the truck. The dog was shaking and cold but appeared to be fine. We brought the dog home and called animal control. With the information we were given we thought it was best to keep him until morning then call the animal hospital listed on his tag. Kong brought a moving blanket in from the garage and covered up the dog. Animal control told us to listen to the dogs breathing through the night. If he was injured his breathing would give us a sign.
In the middle of the night the dog's breathing became labored. Worried, Kong slept on the sofa next to him. If the evening was not already delightful enough, the poor dog threw up. In the vomit Kong found a receipt and some paper. Poor thing. He was so hungry that he inadvertently ate garbage. Kong took the morning off to clean up and we took the dog to the Animal Hospital. Although it was a lot of work, Kong seemed to have a real bond with the dog. The dog followed Kong around everywhere to which Kong responded, "Dog, I am not your master" I presume a defense mechanism to keep emotional distance from the dog.
I feel like there are no coincidences. Things happen for a reason. Kong's mom sent Skyba to us as a sign. She wanted Kong to know that having a dog would be wonderful for our girls but more importantly, it would be wonderful for him. There is room in his heart to love another being and despite the work, there are great benefits. Thank you Puj. Hopefully we are one step closer to getting a dog.


1 comment:
I didn't know this was the full back story. Beautiful! I also believe everything happens for a reason. Having a dog (or any pet) is a lot of work but you're right, the reward is beyond anything. I hope you and your family does get a dog :)
Jules
Post a Comment