Friday, December 11, 2009

What is wrong with our society?

I was on a business trip this week and I was reminded of what an entitled society we live in. "Business trip?" you ask. Yes, I'm still working even though I quit my job. The only difference is I don't get paid anymore to work. Anyway, that's another post for another day.

When I landed at Midway in Chicago I took a cab to my hotel (which by the ways was beautiful Palace House Hilton, a historic hotel). When I told my cab driver that I would be using a credit card, he let out an audible sigh of discontent and reluctantly took me to the hotel. During the ride he was rude, almost got us into an accident because he gawking at another accident and he was talking loudly on his cell phone. When we reached the hotel I paid him using my Amex card (never leave home without it) and did not give him a tip. He boldly pointed out that I had not tipped him to which I replied, "No I did not." I'm not sure if he thought complaining would somehow change my mind about tipping but he made comments under his breath until he pulled a way.

The nerve of people. Is it just me or do people seem more entitled now? People expect extra money for performing the minimum requirement of their job. Am I the only person who thinks this is absurd? I am a generous tipper but I am not about to give the money that may family has worked hard for to someone who couldn't even pretent to appreciate my business for the 20 minutes he spent with me.

I'm sorry but if you work in a job that relies on tips then it is your responsibility to conduct yourself in a manner that is deserving of the tip. I was a waitress for many years and no matter how crappy the customer was, no matter how overworked (which I was because I worked for my father) or tired I was, I served my butt off for my tip. If you have an opinion on this I would love to hear about it.

Anyway, it's been a long time since I have blogged so here are a few recent pictures.

Working on the Schmidt Farm Butchering deer at the farmThe end of summer...monkeys playing

No comments: