Monday, December 1, 2008

The Moon, Venus & Jupiter

(This photo is how we actually saw the moon, Venus and Jupiter - except the planets were even closer yet to the moon)

As Taylor, Ayden and I walked out of school at 5:50pm to attend Kuk Sool Won on December 1, 2008 we noticed two very, very bright stars in the sky. We had a discussion around if the two bright stars were Tristan and Yvaine from Stardust (best movie ever). As we were talking, out of the blue, a woman from about a blocks distance yelled over to us, "That's Jupiter and Venus by the moon!" She told us that this only happens every 27 years. It was an amazing and beautiful sight. The planets were brighter than any star we had ever seen. There was nothing in the sky or words that could compare or describe just how magnificent this sight was.

The girls and I planned on taking a photo after class but when we got home the planets had shifted. It was wonderful that we got to share this moment together. I guess it's not every 27 year this event occurs. It's actually much longer. We'll see Venus and Jupiter again but not the way they were displayed tonight until November 18, 2052. The girls and I wrote a letter about our experience and sealed it in an envelope so that we can read about this moment when it occurs again in 44 year. I'll be 79 then, Taylor 53 and Ayden 49. I feel teary eyed already : (

1 comment:

Brian said...

I took my boys out to see the same Moon/Jupiter/Venus alignment. They were far more impressed than I thought they'd be. I wish I had thought about the "time capsule" envelope idea. Good idea there, you are much smarter parent than I am.